As I dig deep into positive thinking and optimism, I've discovered some of the most over-used platitudes that trigger mass eye-rolling are the magical compasses that will lead us to success and happiness if we take the time to actually reflect upon of them. After all, they were originally spouted for a reason.
Clichés are often as valuable as a burrito fart to the face, but some tired 'words of wisdom' were once spouted so often because they are the keys to living a good life. Here are five bits of advice that get spouted far too often that we ignore them but are actually crucial for success and happiness.
1. Just do it. I've learned most of my adult life that it is much easier to come up with excuses and reasons to not do something. It is much easier to overly research and prepare rather than start grinding away towards our dreams. It is hard because we often lack the confidence in ourselves to be good enough to reach our goals, but the more we just push ahead then the more silent the voices of self-doubt will become.
2. Do unto others as you would like done unto you. I learned this one at a very young age. I went to church and Christian school, so I may have heard it even more than some others. It is something we spout off to our kids in an attempt to make sure they are kind to others, but it is also the mighty wand that ensures we build worthwhile and valuable relationships. If you want success, then you'll be surprised how much easier it is when you're kind and caring to others.
3. Believe your dreams can come true. Or believe in yourself, but I feel the bold one is more focused, and it is also the one that tends to get the most backlash. We often tell our kids that they can be whatever they want to be, and many years later, you have people that are bitter and feel they were feed a carton of delicious chocolate-coated lies. As we pursue our dreams, there are times where we may shift what matter or start realizing what we really want, But I do think it is paramount that we believe we are good enough to achieve the things we want in life. If we deep down trust that we can achieve all the things we want, then we will have the perseverance and focus to see some kind of version of them come true.
4. Be grateful for what you have. If you really appreciate and love all the small yet wondrous things that come into your life every day and if you really are thankful for what you currently have then it is easier to have the energy and positivity to go after those bigger goals and dreams. If things don't go as originally planned, you will have the perspective and mindset to find the awesome in what you did achieve.
5. What you give out is what you get back. If you are kind to people and help those in need, then you may be surprised how many people will be there when you need them. If you put your heart and soul into your work, then its love will find a way of connecting to people. Rather than aspire to be a certain person, you need to act is you're already that person, and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll become that person you desire. Yes, this paragraph may be just me peddling these clichés. I also think they are truths, and they are things that if we actually practice, we will see the greatest rewards.